Friday, September 2, 2011

Ah yes, just what we need

So, I'm working on clearing out our closet today for the closet installer and when I got everything out, I decided to vacuum (found some mouse poops). I plugged into the outlet behind the dresser.

The lights went out.

So, naturally, I went outside and checked the breakers. None of them had been thrown, so I thought maybe the fuse died (?). No idea. Well, would you look at that? TWO electricians in my house.

I had one of them look at it. It's so much more than the breakers. Actually, the breakers are fine, it's, well "that" electrician, as the previous owner refers to him. He mixed the electrical gauges and didn't do the electrical to code. Our electrician said that we have a splice in the neutral wire (the white one) but isn't sure where it is -- maybe the attic? The opened up a few more boxes (our bathroom, boys bathroom) and was shocked. "Hey, Steve! Come look at this!"

I said "Thanks for your help today, but we'll have to take care of this later."

So now we don't have lights in our bedroom tonight or in the boys bathroom.

When I mentioned this to Brian, he said "Sounds expensive."

No comments:

About Me

Lafayette, Colorado, United States